Candlelighters For Children With Cancer
Candlelighters For Children With Cancer is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to be an established leader in providing support, education, advocacy and hope to all children and their families impacted by childhood cancer in Oregon and Southwest Washington including chapters in Portland, Eugene, Roseburg, Medford, and Bend.
Established in Oregon in 1977 Candlelighters prides itself in providing multi-faceted frontline support and services to families throughout the different stages of pediatric cancer: initial diagnoses, treatment, post-treatment, and even bereavement support.
We are able to offer our members a wide array of effective support services because our board of directors and active volunteers represent the many faces of childhood cancer providing knowledge, experience and support to families in need.
Our mission is carried out through the following activities and services that have continued to expand over the past 33 years.
- Monthly support group meetings for families and children facilitated by trained professionals
- Monthly catered meals for in-patients and their families at Emanuel and Doernbecher Children’s Hospitals
- Summer family camp Outreach to newly diagnosed families Social activities
- Tickets to area sporting/entertainment events
- College scholarships to cancer survivors
- Bereavement support services
- Toys for children at local children’s hospitals and oncology clinics
- Emergency financial support
- Pediatric Cancer Resources
- Food pantry and Snack Cart
- Bi-Monthly newsletter and access to our website: www.4kidswithcancer.org
- Guest speakers with medical training provide up-to-date information on medical care and research.
- Peer support at monthly meetings provides both emotional support and information sharing
- Announcement of relevant talks and seminars by specialists in the community
- Annual state wide teachers conference on "Educating the Child with Cancer: What Every Teacher Should Know", offered through a partnership with OHSU
The Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation in Washington D.C. advocates for childhood cancer families by impacting legislative issues and participating in national policy committees impacting pediatric cancer. Candlelighters advocates for families by providing information on legal and educational issues impacting their circumstances.
Candlelighters is run by a 20-member volunteer board of directors; all work is voluntary with the exception of a paid part-time Program Assistant, a part-time Family Events and Volunteer Coordinator, and a part-time Development Manager. Our organization receives no federal or state funding and relies completely on community support and individual contributions.